Thursday, May 31, 2012

Freezer Burn --You asked for it.

Well, one of you asked me.. and it's a fairly interesting topic.

Freezer burn, what is it?  How does it get there?  How is it prevented?  Is it safe to eat?

The answer, is that freezer burn is basically water molecules escaping from your food, forming at the top and freezing.  As food is frozen over an extended period of time, it begins to dry out, and that water has to go somewhere, so it basically pools over the top of whatever is being frozen, and freezes there.

The way it is prevented (for a slightly longer period of time anyway), is by ensuring that your food is wrapped really tightly.  This usually means removing it from the store packages and wrapping it in tighter packaging.  I personally find that the double layered freezer bags work best, unless you opt for vacuum packed, which might actually be your best option, though it is considerably more expensive.

The final question, is it safe to eat?  The answer to that is yes, it is safe.  Freezer burn is merely water, so it will cause no harm when consumed, however, you will most likely notice the texture, color and taste might be a little different.

I hope this answers all of your questions.

Remember, I am still accepting participants.  GoHERE to find out how to tell me what YOU want to read about!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! I was eating one of those Edy's Frozen Ice Cream Bars and let my kitty lick the "extra ice" off and then immediately thought, what if it isn't safe!? Very helpful.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Talk to me!