Tuesday, May 15, 2012

My quit date is approaching quickly!!

So, as many of you know, I have decided to quit smoking.  In doing so, I have partnered up with Quit Tea.  (You can read about that HERE.)  But I know, that tea isn't going to be the cure all that makes quitting smoking magically easy.  To tell you the truth, I am nervous.  I am at that stage where I'm saying things like "Do I really want to quit?  Am I going to be able to do it this time??"

This is why I need a plan.  This is why I've been thinking about how I'm going to do this.  I have tried this plan thing in the past and yet, I am still smoking.  I am desperately hoping that the tea will indeed at least give me an edge in this regard.

One of the big reasons that I am quitting (besides all of the obvious of course) is money.  We have been talking about ways that we can cut back on our finances and the money we spend.  I have never wanted to say it out loud, but I am easily spending $80-$100 a month on this habit.  Do you realize that's more than I pay to use the internet to write to you guys?!  This is a motivating factor for me.  I have complained a bit about how I never spend money on myself.. Well... Here is that money.  I have been spending it on myself.  Negatively.  I could get 3-4 haircuts in a month with my smoking money, or 3-4 manicures or pedicures.  I could buy one or two new outfits a month.  We could go out to dinner as a family at least twice.  I could save it all and take my family on a rockin' vacation in a year!  

But anyway, I digress.  I said I had a plan, so maybe I should share it with you guys right?  I'm going to wake up in the morning, and have a cup of quit tea after my coffee.  Then, it's going to be business as usual, minus smoking.  I am going to spend more time blogging, cleaning, playing with my daughter.  I am not going to worry about smelling like smoke.  

When my daughter goes down for her nap, that is typically a big smoke break for me.  I go smoke, blog and clean for a while, smoke again, watch tv for a while, and smoke again.  Instead of going out for that smoke when she goes down, I am going to work out and exercise.  I figure that in doing this, I can kill two birds with one stone, as I REALLY need to lose weight as well.  I am going to attempt to do both at once.  I am going to begin drinking only water in an effort to help flush and cleanse my system of the nicotine and the nasty stuff that comes with it.  (I drink a LOT of diet cola typically, so this is going to help my budget also!  water is free!!) 

Basically, my plan is to keep busy as best as possible.   Try not to think about it..  Reach out for support when I need it, and do my best to stay calm..  This is my biggest challenge.  The coughing, and withdrawing suck, but lashing out at the people I love more than anything has always been what's caused me to pick up cigarettes again.  This is what I have to fix.  And I will!

So again, I would like to call out to all of you to challenge yourselves, and let's do this together.  Let's support each other.  Another plus side to this is that writing about it will hold me accountable.  You have my word that my writing about this will always be honest.  If I slip up, I'm going to tell you.  If I'm doing great, I'm going to tell you.  

So tell me.  Are you with me??

3 comments:

  1. I want to wish you the best of luck in quitting smoking, You have beautiful daughter that truly needs her beautiful mommy around, Plus you are helping her learn a very strong lesson in life. Will power a strong thing to learn, My daddy died when i was young, He had nicotine poisoning, Life was cut so short for him. He never got to see his kids grow up. You have to stay strong not only for you but for your children. I truly wish there had been a company like Quit Tea when my dad was a live, I know you must have heard this many times, But second hand smoke is just as bad for you as the person who is smoking, I know this to be true. My mom never smoked but got second hand smoke disease of her lungs. Because my dad did smoke. Please I will keep in touch, I also have a blog. I want to join yours Tyvm keep in touch, And girl I am going to believe you will kick this habit. xoxo *+*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just quit smoking about 66days ago.... it's so hard. But I've been chewing gum and my family has allowed me to have fits and cry. lol It's getting better and worth it! ;)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Talk to me!