Monday, January 18, 2016

Dear women of my generation-

This is something that I've wanted to write about for a while.  I fear that it won't make me many friends, as it's not a popular opinion.  I am old-fashioned, and no one will ever say that I am a feminist, but ladies, I think we need to take a few minutes to think about something.

I think a story might be the best introduction.

There's a girl that I am friends with on Facebook.  I have known her for quite some time, and during another part of my life, we were actually quite close friends.  She is now someone that I rarely talk to, and all I know of her life is what I see on Facebook.  She managed to catch my attention as I was scrolling through my newsfeed this morning.  She wrote a post about how she wasn't interested in using social media to date or find men, and that she didn't know why people would even think to message and address her as having such interests.  Scrolling on, and she had posted a picture, a selfie, with her kissing toward the camera and pulling open the top of her shirt.

We want respect from men, we want for them to want us for our minds, and personalities, but how can we possibly expect that when the first part of us that they see is our body? If you ponder nothing else about this post, ponder that.  If they shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, perhaps we could use a bit more of a cover, with a real story inside.

Ponder for a moment, what kind of man you would like to attract (if you're single, of course.  If you are already attached, there is a whole other list of reasons why you should not be sharing these things!).  If you are attracting a man with only your body, you are attracting a man who may not have eyes only for you.  If he's looking only for a nice body, he will always have more to choose from.

Let's go back to a time when they were peeling back layers of our personalities before we ever let them peel back our clothes.  If you want respect from men, this is a great place to start.  People are only going to see you in the light that you present yourself.  As a woman, it saddens me to see women showing their bodies as if that's what they have to offer to the world.  Put your best foot forward.  Right now, for a lot of ladies, they give the impression that the best they have to offer is the skin their clothes should be covering.  I know this isn't true ladies.  All of us have so, so much more to offer.  Let's show off our nurturing nature, our strength, our intelligence.  Let's let the world see more of those things, and less of the things that are only intended to ever be shared with someone you plan to spend your life with.

Before you let this make you mad, take a minute to think, and I mean really think, about whether things would be a little different for you if you took this to heart.  Because I have a feeling that the people who take the most offense, are going to be the ones who could most benefit from taking this to heart.

Is there anything that you'd add to this?  Do you agree?  If any men read this, I'd love for you to chime in also.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Talk to me!