Sunday, June 3, 2012

My Best

"The place to take the true measure of a man is not in the darkest place or in the amen corner, not the cornfield, but by his own fireside. There he lays aside his mask and you may learn whether he is an imp or an angel, cur or King, hero or humbug. I care not what the world says of him: whether it crowns him boss or pelts him with bad eggs. I care not a copper what his reputation or his religion may be: if his babies dread his homecoming and his better half swallows her heart every time she has to ask for a five dollar bill, he is a fraud of the first water, even though he prays every night and morning until he is black in the face....But if his children rush to the front door to meet him and love's sunshine illuminates the face of his wife every time she hears his footfall, you can take it for granted that he is pure, for his home is a heaven...I can forgive much in that fellow mortal who would rather make men swear than women weep; who would rather have the hate of the whole world than the contempt of his wife; who would rather call anger to the eyes of a king than fear to the face of a child." -- Elbert Hubbard

This is a quote that I read in a book (a few of you probably saw this on my Facebook earlier tonight), that incidentally I am reading for a review for you all.  This quote stuck with me to the point where I sent it in an email to my husband to show him appreciation. You see, as I was reading it, his face resonated in my mind.  Not only that, but the cheer I see in my child's face when he pulls in the driveway after work, them reading stories, playing, or working in the yard together.  I also thought of how my own heart still skips a beat as I see him walking into our home. 

I think this is such a powerful truth.  A person's family deserves their very best, and if they're not getting that, then I think that can speak volumes.  As a stay at home parent,  my family sees me at my worst, but they also see me at my best.  I realized that sometimes (probably more often than I'd actually like to admit), I'm so tired from the errands, chasing around our daughter, cleaning the house, that by the time my husband is there, I'm not at my best for him.  This quote made me think about that, and how I can make an effort to better that.  

I know that my husband gives 100% at work, but he does that in order to make sure he's able to provide for our family.  It amazes me that he's also able to give that same 100% most of the time at home.  His job gets a lot of his time, but I know that his family definitely gets all of his love, and I hope that I am giving our family the same.

I think sometimes we need to ask ourselves.. Who's getting your best?  What are people going to see by your fireplace?

 

1 comment:

  1. Only people who deserve the best of me receive the best of me. Unfortunately there's not many of those. But you are right, sometimes I need to step up and realize I can be better. Very nice post.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Talk to me!