Saturday, December 15, 2012

You are my Sunshine

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me happy, when skies are gray. You'll never know, dear, how much I Love You. Please don't take my sunshine away.

I sing this song with my daughter every day, twice. Once before naptime, and once before bed. Today, as I was singing, I found tears coming to my eyes. Because today, a man walked into a school building, and took away the sunshine of 20 parents.

I said I wasn't going to post anything else today. I am writing this today, however, I will schedule it for tomorrow. I am merely writing this today, because this news hit me hard.

My child is starting school in September, and the idea of something like this happening to her, to kids to her age, to any child, is just a devastating thought. ONE death today was too many in such a senseless tragedy.

The thought that anytime we say goodbye to our children, anytime we tell them we love them, could be the last time. Parents aren't supposed to outlive their children. No parent deserves that, just like no child deserves to lose the opportunity to experience a whole, full life.

I also think about all of the children who have lost a bit of their innocence today. Children deserve to feel safe. School is for learning. Parents should not have to worry about what their kids are going to endure, whether they will return safely.

I wish there were more answers. I wish there were understanding as to why things like this happen. Then I wish for understanding to lead to prevention.

The fact is, that at any moment, any one of us could take our last breath. We need to let everyone in our lives know exactly how we feel about them.

I appreciate all of you who are reading this. I love sharing my feelings with you, and I love your feedback.

To the families, and community so deeply affected by Friday's events, I am sorry. I really, and truly wish I had better words for you. I wish that somehow, I was able to turn back time and prevent this. I wish I knew how we could prevent things like this from ever happening. I wish I had a way to ease your pain. But know that I am giving you the strength of prayer and will continue to do so. I hope that each of you are provided with whatever you need to find some healing. I am so very, very sorry to those of you who lost your Sunshine today.

To my family and friends, I love you. I appreciate you, and I am genuinely glad that you're in my life.

I said on Facebook, that I was going to spend my blogging time reflecting, and I have been doing that. All day. I took time for extra love, more laughter, extra hugs and snuggling. I took a lot of time to thank God for the people in my life and have asked for healing for Newton.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Talk to me!