Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Charity for Christmas

Today, I wanted to let you know about something that blogging has helped me to do.

Most people know that we get products to review, get paid to write some posts and other than that, we, as bloggers are sharing with you our thoughts and views on life, family and everything else.

Here's what you don't know. I, indeed have made a small amount of money doing this. The reviews and the money are providing my family's Christmas (that was a big goal that I set for myself, and I am so excited that I've been able to reach that goal.). But, in addition to that, I have taken some of the money that I've made, and used it to buy goods to be donated to others.

The first thing I did, was purchase food items and donate them to my church, as they hand out food baskets to people who are in need. They hand out a list, and I bought a decent amount of food to contribute to that.

The other thing that I did, was call a local homeless shelter, and ask them what they needed! If you decide to donate items to a shelter that you're going to be purchasing, I would highly suggest calling first, because you might be surprised at what they need verses what they had plenty of. For instance, when I called my local shelter, they had plenty of the things that I was going to buy (I was going to get a few blankets, gloves and other "keeping warm items"). What they needed, however, were paper towels, laundry detergent, and hats. So instead of purchasing just a few blankets, I bought 24 rolls of paper towels, four economy sized laundry detergents and ten hats. This may seem like a lot, but this shelter provides services for up to 80 people at one given time (which, in itself, considering this is not the only shelter in the area, showed me the fact that there's such an overwhelming need for this.)

Not only did I walk away feeling good because we helped out, but I was also able to teach my daughter a lot that day. We went in to the store together, and I let her know what they needed and why we were doing this. Then, we went together to bring the stuff, and I was able to fully explain where we were going, and why they needed this stuff.

I highly suggest doing this. Not only is it a good thing to do, but it's a great lesson in sharing for your family. Think about this. We are all as close as one bad decision away from having to rely on the kindness of others for shelter, sustenance and life's other necessities.

If you are interested in helping out, but aren't sure where to start, let me help you!  Use the contact tab at the bottom of the screen.  Tell me where you live (a zip code would be fine), and I will find your nearest shelter, and will even call them, and find out when they accept donations, and what they are in need of.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Talk to me!