Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Family Internet Time!

It's so funny how so many things are different now, than they were when we were children. There are so many things that we can do with our kids and as a family that we didn't have back then.

One of my daughter's favorite things is playing with me on the computer. There are so many great websites geared directly toward children, it's wonderful. We play games, watch movies and even read stories. We use the internet for all of these things on our computer, as well as playing video games and watching online streaming of television and movies, all with our Comcast internet service.

My personal favorites, are the websites that have educational services. I have written a review for one or two of them in the past, but they are so beneficial.  My little one loves using the computer, because she sees me using it all of the time, so she likes "working on the computer like mommy".  This is quality time that we're spending together, and she's learning the whole time (though it's just fun for her!)  Most of the children's channels that we watch together sometimes have educational games on their websites.

Computer games are a huge help with motor skills, in addition to whatever the educational purpose behind the actual game is (lots of reading and number games out there!).  Not only that, but, let's face it:  in this day and age, kids must learn how to use a computer.  Why not give your younger children a really beneficial head start.

On a side note, if I were to be completely honest, I haven't done as good a job as I could in instilling the skills necessary to operate a computer in my daughter yet (I do most of the controls when we're playing games.).  I know that I need to, but I always have this worry that our computer will end up broken (keep in mind this is coming from a mother of a child who has more broken toys than she probably should.).  But she starts school in a year, so we will be having some basic computer lessons soon!  If any of you have any recommendations on good websites on teaching children about the computer, they are welcome in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Talk to me!