Monday, October 1, 2012

Apple Butter Recipe Links!

I posted on Facebook earlier today, that I was planning on surprising my husband by buying the things to make him some Apple Butter. I also plan on freezing some, and using it as holiday gifts for neighbors and friends. (I didn't know you could do this, so that's pretty great!)

When I posted this, I received a request to share some of the links for the recipes that I was looking at. The recipes that I have been looking at are for use in the slow cooker, and look so extremely easy! I am hoping that it is, indeed as easy as it looks! If so, I'm going to wonder why I haven't done this sooner!

What I'm finding, is that for the most part, it's apples, cloves, sugar, cinnamon and in some recipes, some water or juice. Here is a list of some links to recipes that I have looked at, in case some of you might like to try as well.

This recipe, from allrecipes, looks really easy, but takes a long time (9 to 11 hours) and requires occasional stirring, which is a problem for me personally because I'm planning on doing it overnight, and I like to sleep at night!  Other than that, it looks really easy, and the reviews are ok.  Some people in the reviews said that this one was too sweet, requiring them to either use less sugar or add more apples. 

Here is a whole list of crock pot apple butter recipes from cooks.com.  There are apparently far more variations on doing this than I ever realized!  This one, from that list, seems like a fairly easy recipe, though there are more ingredients than the one above.  Most of the reviews are excellent!  It also gives you some simple instructions for canning, as well as how long it will last in the refrigerator if you're like me and have no idea how to can (This is on the list of things I'd love to learn!)

This recipe (also from cooks.com) is the one I may ultimately end up trying this time around, mainly because it just seems SO easy. The reviews gave it 4 out of 5 stars, but the written reviews consisted of arguing over what kind of jars to use when freezing it (gotta love the internet!), so I'm not sure.  If I don't try this one, it will be because I want to make one that I know others have tried and enjoyed.

I am going to the grocery store to buy the remaining ingredients today (thanks to a recent trip to the apple orchard, I already have plenty of apples!), and then early this evening I will begin them in the crock pot.  I will let you all know how it comes out!

Because I am so new to all of this, I would love to hear any tips and tricks you may have!  If you have a better recipe that you'd like to share, feel free to post that in the comments also.  Maybe I'll use yours instead!






Disclaimer: My opinions as always are my own. This post contains links from websites with whom The Mom Show has no affiliation, but are recommended by The Mom Show.

2 comments:

  1. Canning is really simple. All you need is a pot that is tall enough that the jars can be set on a short rack (so water can go boil under them) and be covered by about an inch or two of water. Put the jars in the pot while it is getting hot so they are still hot when you put the apple butter in them. This prevents cracking. After you have filled them, wipe off any spills, and seal them tightly. Put them back in the water and let them boil for 10 minutes. After you take them out, let them sit for 12 to 24 hours. If the button on the top has not gone down, then you can freeze them. If they did seal properly then you can store them in your pantry for up to a year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing this! I am sure that I am not the only one who will thoroughly appreciate it!

      I don't know why, but I thought it was SO much harder than that! Now that I know it's not, maybe I'll can the apple butter after I make it!

      Thank you again!

      Delete

I would love to hear from you! Talk to me!