Monday, August 27, 2012

Dollar Tree with Coupons!!

So, today, for the first time ever, I brought my coupon binder into Dollar Tree.

It was exciting and fun to know that there was a huge possibility of me walking away paying next to nothing.  I did spend some money.  I spent $5.  But, for that $5, I got:

4 boxes of Hefty Bags (had two $1 off 2 coupons)
2 bottles of Sally Hansen Nail Polish (had one $1 off and one $0.50 off coupon)
1 loufa (I didn't have any coupons for this, but the one I had crumbled apart in my hand in the shower the other day)
2 rolls of Bounty Basic Paper Towels (had $1 off 2 coupon)
1 L'oreal lip gloss (used $1 off 1 L'oreal lip product coupon)

My total was $10.50 before coupons, and had I decided to spend longer in the store, I probably would have saved more and done even better, but I spent exactly $5, cutting my pre-tax amount in half.

The one problem that I had trying to coupon there, was that the sizes of the items were varied from "normal".  I tried to buy Crest toothpaste, but on the coupon, it said that it had to be at least 4 oz, and all of their crest toothpaste was 3.5 oz.  I had a coupon for a 3 bar pack of Dial Soap, but they only had 2 bar packs.  This made it a little difficult because you have to REALLY pay attention to make sure that you're following the rules.

That being said (and I am in NO way condoning bad couponing behavior.  Exactly the opposite actually.) They don't scan the coupons, they key them in, and the cashier that I had wasn't very diligent in looking them over really well.  So I could have used those coupons for that toothpaste and soap, and they probably would have worked.  Please don't do this.  People are going to abuse this enough as it is, and I fear that it will eventually end Dollar Tree's use of coupons.  Please don't contribute to that.

I did enjoy being able to go in there and do a little bit of cheap shopping for extra cheap!

3 comments:

  1. That is awesome to hear. I plan on shopping our local dollar tree this weekend. Hopefully I will make out as well as you did. Thanks for sharing your experience with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never thought of using coupons at the dollar tree

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great!! I went today (8/28/12) and got $15.48 worth of items for &7.23. I was able to get the following

    2 boxes of Honey Maid Graham Cracker Lil' Squares
    1 Garnier Fructis Color Shield Leave-In Conditioner
    1 Oil of Olay Bar
    2 Boxes of Fruit Roll Ups
    1 Bag of Soft pretzels
    2 Value Refill Softsoap Brand Hand Soaps
    2-4 packs of Cheez-Its (8 lunch size bags total)
    2 Palmolive Dish Soaps
    2 Colgate Toothbrushes

    Not bad for my first time going. I'm looking forward to going back now that I know which products and coupons to be on the look out for. I'm excited about this and hope that people don't ruined it for us honest couponers.

    I found the same issue with the sizing at my Dollar Tree as well. The bar soaps, Lady Speed Stick, Sargento Cheese, etc.

    The store associates apologized continuously for having to key everything in. For the amount of money I saved...hey no problem, take ya time. LOL!!!


    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Talk to me!