Wednesday, August 8, 2012

All it takes is a love song.....

...to bring you back.. to a certain time, place, or person.  Maybe it's because I've always lead a musical life, but it's true.  My wedding Anniversary was yesterday, and I have spent a lot of time in the last couple of days listening to our song.  Naturally, I remember our dance at our wedding.  How could I ever forget. But I also remember a few weeks before our wedding, when we were having a hard time picking and agreeing on a song.  I was driving home one day, from a long day of school and then work (I did both full time before getting married, plus I was a music student, and my time was in demand by fellow students because I played an uncommon instrument that was needed in a lot of different shows at the time, so I was always on the go for 16, 18 or 20 hours a day.).

It was about 10 pm, and I was driving home.  I was almost there when the song came on.  I arrived in my driveway, and pulled out my cell phone upon hearing it.  I had to call 411 to get the phone number of the radio station that was playing it, as it was a song that I'd never heard before (It was new back then).  They told me that it was Keith Urban's Memories of Us.  Knowing that this was a crazy request, I asked them if they could play it again.  The lady on the phone was so nice, but was obviously curious.  I explained to her how I was getting married in a few weeks, and hadn't chosen a wedding song yet.  (We had thought about using Here Without you by 3 doors down, but we were finally going to be together, and our wedding was celebrating our future, not just the fact that we'd made it through our past.  I've written about it before, but while I was studying, my husband was already in VA with the military.  After our wedding, I was moving to join him.)

She played it again, and I called the wonderful man I was about to marry, and told him he had to listen to this song, and let me know what he thought.  He really liked it just as much as I did.

Just listen to it.  Can you hear all of the love in this song?


                        
                 Video from youtube.com.  Keith Urban's Memories of us.

Anyway, hearing this song brings me back to the start of our lives together.  The preparation, the anticipation, and then, finally, being with the man that I have loved since our senior prom.  I think about how far we have come, not just in the things we have, and the things we have done, but the fact that neither of us often has to even finish a sentence when we're talking anymore, the fact that now, all of my best memories are with him.  He has truly provided exactly what this song said that he would. "I'll earn your trust, making memories of us"  The fact that, in addition to a lot of happiness and love, we've also been through times of sadness and anger, and that, seven years later, we are stronger than we have ever been, and even when I don't know that our bond can continue to grow, it does.  Every day.  I never really had a "safest" or "happy place" before, but now, it's wherever he is.  It's in the home that we've created.

I feel like I have gone off topic here a little bit, but truthfully, I don't really think I have, because these are all of the things that I think about when this song comes on.

I could honestly post dozens of posts like this, where I post a particular song, and then write about the place or time it brings me back to.  I probably won't do that, not all at once anyway!

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous post :) I too love music and love how it can bring back certain memories. My wedding song was "I Wanna Grow Old With You" by Westlife. Every time I hear that song I am overcome with emotion. It just feels like so much love was poured into that song and it reminds me of the love I share with my husband and just....:)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Talk to me!