Saturday, November 17, 2012

Family Dinner

We all watch television, so surely, you've seen at least one of those commercials where you see a family all eating dinner together. You know, they're cheesy. There's a perfectly clean kitchen and dining room, everyone in the family is there, no one is preoccupied, and the mom always looks like she prepared a perfect dinner without actually lifting a finger.

But really.. There is definitely something to them. I mean, think about it. How often is every member in your family all home, at the same place, in the same room, doing the same thing, together, all at the same time? I know that if my family didn't eat dinner together, we would go days at a time without doing things all together (my husband works a weird schedule.). I have to tell you, I truly treasure that time that I have with my family on a daily basis. It's such a foundation for my daughter that on the rare occasion(and it really is rare. It's a goal for all of us that we do our best to stick to it) that one of us isn't there for dinner time, my daughter is genuinely disappointed.

I know.. we're busy. All of us. Sometimes, it's just really hard to get everyone together at dinner time. My husband leaves the house at 3:30 pm, and doesn't get home from work until 7:00 am. Because my daughter is still at home, we eat our dinner at 2:00 pm every day. We have a late lunch, and my husband just has a filling breakfast. Next year, when she starts school, in order to make sure we're still eating together daily, we will probably have breakfast together instead. It can be done.

I know that as children get older, schedules get busier. I understand completely. If you're wanting to incorporate family dinners (or, for people like me, a generic family meal time), you can start slow. Start with, perhaps, a Sunday Dinner, then add Saturdays in there, eventually perhaps Fridays, and then any other days during the week that a schedule will allow. Perhaps you can do what we're going to do and get all together around the table for breakfast in the morning.

Some of the Benefits of Family Dinners:
  • Spending time together as a family, all together, in the same place, at the same time.
  • Perfect opportunity to talk about daily activities, and things going on in our lives.  This also gives you a great opportunity to open up lines of communication.  I really believe that this is important for kids as they get older.  You want them to come talk to you when they need to. Listen to them now.  Continuing this, is known to prevent some of the less than desirable behavior that can occur when parents aren't as involved.
  • Shows children that family time is important, appreciated and a real priority.
  • Allows you a perfect opportunity to teach your children manners surrounding dinner, eating, and being with other people.
  • This will also open your children's eyes to healthier foods than what they would probably choose if they were choosing a quick dinner or were out on the go.
  • Eating dinner together as a family can actually relieve the stresses of the day by giving you a chance to forget about them for a short time, while focusing on the most important things in your life, your family!
If recipes are part of your challenge, you can browse here for a bit and find a few (I keep meaning to put a recipe tab at the top, perhaps now would be a good time to do that!).  You can start by learning how to make a perfect baked potato for your next side dish, find out how to make meatloaf a little more exciting, or find out how you can roast a chicken (or turkey) and turn it into many meals

If there are other recipes you're looking for, or if there are any other questions you have about making this happen, use the contact tab on the bottom right hand of your screen and I'll get it done for you!

Now, your turn, how do you make time for family dinners and make sure they're a good time for the whole family?





  • Disclaimer:My opinions as always are my own.

3 comments:

  1. We are big on family dinners. Every night we sit at the table no TV on or anything. We usual eat around the same time. The only exception is Thursdays (son has cub scouts). We talk and the kids tell us about their days. Hubby will some time tell work stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the ideas you have about getting started with family dinners.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Talk to me!