Friday, October 16, 2015

Sausage Eggplant Ratatouille Crockpot Recipe

One of my favorite things about recipes like ratatouille, is that you can make it out of different things. Its basically vegetables in sauce.

Last week, my husband and I took a trip to a local "pick your own" farm, in order to grab some last minute, end of the season produce.We had a wonderful time, and got some great stuff.  As you can imagine, however, we are getting to the point where we really need to use what we got before it goes bad.  I made preserves and had a few things canned.  The rest, however, we now really needed to use. We also had some ground sausage in the freezer, so I decided to take what we had left and had to use, along with a few new groceries and this is what I came up with, and I'm excited to share it with you!

I used:
one pound ground sausage (no casings.)
one medium eggplant, cubed, not peeled.
four large banana peppers, sliced
two carrots chopped
one yellow onion, diced
one small or medium sweet potato (I had an enormous one that I cut in half) peeled and cut into small cubes
two cups jarred tomato sauce (or you can use homemade, this is just what I had on hand)


First, brown the sausage, and drain the fat.
Than you're going to cut, slice, and dice your veggies.
Put the veggies and sausage into the crock pot, and pour in the sauce
Mix it up.  At this point, it will look like this:




You can cook it either on high for 3-4 hours, or on low for 7-8. The fun part about this, is it is really yummy just on it's own, but you also have the option to serve it over rice or even spaghetti.

Given the fact that I am trying to limit my carbs a bit, I preferred to just eat it as is in a bowl.

My husband and daughter, however, absolutely loved it over some spaghetti. Spaghetti squash, zucchini noodles, cauliflower rice are options also.  You really can't lose either way!  Enjoy!

1 comment:

I would love to hear from you! Talk to me!